Wednesday 3 September 2008

Hate dealing with death

I have always honestly stated on several occasions that the worst part of my job at Northamptonshire Racial Equality Council is when I have to be involved in a murder that has been designated a racial incident. For the second time in my career this has happened. This has involved close communication with the family who have demonstrated the most impeccable degree of dignity and capability in this situation. To lose a family member is bad enough, but losing a family member to a violent situation that from the outset has been designated a racial incident is another level of being able to cope.
At a memorial service last night, literally hundreds of people ... friends, family (but all people who loved and respected Sachince Popat) were there together celebrating his life... his life as a person who wanted to make a difference in the world, through his work for charitable organisations, through his generosity and love for all in his family will live on beyond him.

There were flashbacks from when my parents died in 2006. Two weeks ago when taking my family to a wedding it did strike me that my children had seen more funerals than weddings. Perhaps I need to be more positive.

1 comment:

Kathy Smith said...

It is very hard to stay positive, but what else can one do, as we said on the phone we are friends and have been for some very long years, how we work is positive, regardless.... as a 'family' we have lost too many good people but that does not mean we should give up my love, and nor should anyone else.....